I’m packing my swimming bag and preparing for my last swimming-pool visit for at least 6 weeks. (From midnight this evening, Ireland’s covid restrictions are getting even stricter).
As swimming is my exercise of choice and unfailingly gives me deep joy and bodily relaxation, I have my fair share of emotions swirling around this fact.
I also have my fair share of thoughts bubbling up up up and out about what this might mean for me…. My fair share of stories and interpretations and lies that are threatening to rob my joy and peace…
Thoughts and stories that attack my identity, my sense of belonging, my self-worth…. I’m sure you know what I mean, thoughts like:
- this newest lockdown is going to be terrible
- my body is going to lose its strength if I can’t swim
- I am powerless against all the evil I see around me
Instead, it’s much more life-giving to replace these victim, “doom-and-gloom” interpretations with God’s truths. For example:
- God is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20)
- God’s power is made perfect in my weaknesses (2 Corinthians 12:8)
- I am protected by the Lord and his angels (many of the Psalms)
So, tell me, what kind of God’s truths are you going to choose to proclaim over yourself and your life today? Because when we choose to stay positive, be open, to see things from God’s point of view, amazing things can happen.
Raising Happy Healthy Christian Kids
Your Domestic Ark
P.S. If you have not yet read yesterday’s blog post on emotions, I invite you to do that now as “emotion-work” is a necessary precursor to this “thought-work”….
If you enjoy reading my articles, please CLICK HERE to get future articles delivered by email.